Request for Applications:
Department Chair Positions
California State Summer School for the Arts 2023 Summer Session
The California State Summer School for the Arts (CSSSA), in collaboration with the CSSSA Board of Trustees, announces a Request for Applications (RFA) for three of the Department Chairs of CSSSA’s academic programs. Each Department Chair position is an annually contracted position that oversees one of CSSSA’s academic programs. The respective departments include the following:
The Department Chair for each program above develops and implements curriculum, courses, and pedagogy, and may also instruct courses within their department. For a complete list of duties please see the Scope of Work Section below.
Enabling legislation, Chapter 1131 of 1985, established the California State Summer School for the Arts (CSSSA) to provide a training ground for future artists who may wish to study and practice the arts, or to pursue careers in the major performing arts companies and commercial and fine arts institutions in California.
CSSSA offers pre-professional training to approximately 500 talented and gifted high school students each summer, hosted by CalArts in Valencia, California for the 2023 summer session. CSSSA offers seven disciplines, including Animation, Dance, Film, Music, Theater, Visual Arts, and Writing. The 2023 summer session runs from July 8th to August 4th.
Click here to view CSSSA’s enabling legislation.
CSSSA welcomes professional artists with broad ranging skills and experiences in the arts and arts education. Artists with professional careers, educators, interdisciplinary artists, and more are welcome to apply. The Department Chair positions shall not be subject to credentialing requirements or any other restrictions upon eligibility for employment generally applicable to public school instructors.
To be eligible for this opportunity, the state educational agency, California State Summer School for the Arts, must have a submitted a Curriculum Vitae/Resume by January 25, 2023 at 5:00 pm, Pacific Time. Please see additional submission details at the end of this Request For Application (RFA).
Ideal Qualifications Include:
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in the department’s respective discipline, or related field and/or equivalent professional experience.
- Multiple years of teaching experience, particularly of high school aged students.
- Sustained record of creative / professional practice in the arts industries.
- Knowledge of cutting-edge trends in arts education as well as opportunities in thecreative industries for young artists.
- Skills and expertise in multiple genres of the program discipline.
- Ability to work creatively and effectively with diverse students of varying levels.
- Demonstrated experience with and commitment to cultural and economic diversity in artseducation.
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability, and able to work collaboratively in a fast-pacedteam dynamic.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and collaborative skills.
Scope of Work
- The Department Chairs will be contracted to provide the following services:
- Participate in the recruitment and interviewing of potential faculty and TAs.
- Ensure that the CSSSA contract analyst has complete contract information for each ofthe department’s hires.
- Participate in the screening, selection, and scheduling of students.
- Create detailed supply orders for the entire department with estimates from competingvendors.
- Oversee the department’s curriculum, including courses and pedagogy.
- Reside on campus during the summer session and supervise the work of full-time, part-time faculty, and visiting artists while the program is in session.
- Instruct courses, and chair faculty meetings.
- Monitor student academic / artistic progress, as well as department policies for obtainingcollege credits.
- Work with faculty and CSSSA’s staff to resolve student conduct, and other studentaffairs issues.
- Work with other department chairs and faculty to develop an interdisciplinary and/ormulti-disciplinary program.
The Department Chairs are paid on a contractual basis and are not considered state employees. The contract is preset by the CSSSA. The contract amount is a comparable level set by the California State University System.
Each Chair will report directly to the Director of CSSSA. The contract starting date will be immediately upon hire to begin planning for the 2023 session. The position is part-time during the planning stages of the Scope of Work and is full-time for the duration of the summer session.
Section 8955 of the California Education Code requires that faculty of the CSSSA Program be annually selected, subject to the final approval of the Director of the CSSSA , and by the CSSSA Board of Trustees, upon consultation with a faculty selection panel convened by the CSSSA Board for that purpose. The faculty selection panel shall be composed of professional artists and arts educators, selected to be broadly representative of the schools, institutions, arts organizations, artists, colleges, and universities located throughout the state. Members of the CSSSA Board of Trustees may serve on the faculty selection panel, but shall comprise no more than one-third of any faculty selection panel.
Upon review of submitted applications by the Selection Committee, select candidates will be contacted for an interview. The Selection Committee may request a second interview with the CSSSA Board of Trustees before the finalist is chosen.
Each Chair shall be chosen for their excellence in artistic production, direction, and / or teaching ability. CSSSA does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic which may be specified by law or state policy.
RFA Posting Information
Posting Date: December 15, 2022
Applications Due – Extended Deadline: February 15, 2023 at 5:00 pm, Pacific Time
RFA Submission Requirements
Applications will be accepted electronically. Please submit required and/or optional documents to CSSSA’s Director, Matthew Gallagher (he/him), by email at email@example.com. Incomplete and late applications may not be accepted and will be at the discretion of the Selection Committee.
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Creative Portfolio/Website
- Educational Philosophy
- Statement of Qualifications – no longer than two pages, and address the following four areas:
- Please introduce why you are interested in this position.
- Please describe how your qualifications, professional training and/or experiencemakes you the ideal candidate for this position.
- Please describe how as an artist you stay current with cutting-edge trends in artseducation as well as opportunities in the creative industries for young artists.
- Please describe your experience and commitment with cultural and economicdiversity in arts education.