The California State Summer School for the Arts is a state agency governed by a 15-‐member board of trustees appointed by the Governor, State Legislature, State Board of Education, California Arts Council, State University Board of Trustees, Regents of the University of California, and the California State Summer School Arts Foundation.
The California State Summer School Arts Foundation was founded as a 501 (c)(3) in 1986 to support CSSSA by seeking and administer gifts from corporations, individuals and foundations. A 30-‐member board of directors, appointed by the school’s board of trustees, governs the foundation. A number of trustees also serve as foundation directors.
Alexander Cruz de Ocampo
Lilia Gonzales Chavez, Vice Chair
Amintas “AJ” Major, Chair
Laura C. Romero, Ph.D
Dean Teri Schwartz
Alan Sieroty, Emeritus
Michael Fields, Director
CSSSA FOUNDATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Wendy Wolstoncroft, Acting President
Amintas “AJ” Major, Treasurer
Phoebe Beasley, Chairman of the Board of Trustees
Heidi Kershaw, Executive Director
CALIFORNIA STATE SUMMER SCHOOL FOR THE ARTS
NOTICE OF TRUSTEE BOARD MEETING — THURSDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2018
CTRL Collective, 12575 Beatrice Street, Los Angeles, CA 90066
10AM – 11:45AM
Open Session – Call to Order and Establishment of a Quorum
- Approval of the May 3, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes
- ACTION – Vote of Trustees on new Foundation Directors and Trustee Leadership positions –
Vote on Trustee leadership candidates for 2018-19.
- Aminatas (AJ) Major – Chair of Board of Trustees
Lilia Chavez – Vice Chair, Board of Trustees.
*Passing of the gavel from outgoing chair Phoebe Beasley to AJ Major.
- Trustee open appointments update – CDE and Governor appointee openings. VOTE to appoint Melissa Draper as trustee from the Foundation
- Vote by trustees to appoint as Foundation Directors – Donna Casey, Susan Dolgen, Shelly Gillyard, Alex Hirsch
- Review of Bagley-Keen Act rules regarding trustees.
- Public Comments for Items Not on the Agenda (The board may not discuss or take action on any matter raised during this public comment section that is not included on this agenda, except to decide whether to place the matter on the agenda of a future meeting – Gov. Code 1125 &1125.7. A maximum two- minute time limit will be placed on public comment).
- Director’s Report
- Summer 2018 summary
- Harrington Evaluation
- CalArts host site contract update
- Proposed Tuition Increase of 8% for 2019 as allowed by legislation
- ACTION – Vote of Trustees on raise of tuition for 2019 by 8%
California Residents from $1850 to $2000
Out of State students from $5700 to $6500 (20 students allowed per year)
- Future Agenda Items
A CSSSA FOUNDATION MEETING TO FOLLOW, WITH LUNCH, AT NOON